Whom should I consult for drug addiction ? And why? +A mental health professional like a Psychiatrist is the right person, since as part of their training, they deal with… Read More
Why some people become addicted to drugs while others don’t ? +People of any age, sex or economic status can become addicted to a drug. However, certain factors can affect the… Read More
How can drug addiction be diagnosed? +A definitive diagnosis of drug addiction usually occurs after an evaluation by a psychiatrist, who as part of their training… Read More
What are the warning signs that a friend or a loved one is using drugs? +If you’re worried that a friend or family member might be abusing drugs, look for the following warning signs: Bloodshot… Read More
How can we prevent drug abuse in children /adolescents? +Take the following steps to help prevent drug abuse in your children /adolescents : Communicate. Talk to your children about the… Read More
What complications can occur due to drug addiction ? +Drug addiction (dependence) can create a number of complications. They can include: Health problems. Drug addiction can lead to a… Read More
How is drug addiction treated? +Treatment for addiction varies widely according to the types of drugs involved, amount of drugs used, duration of the drug… Read More
People of any age, sex or economic status can become addicted to a drug. However, certain factors can affect the likelihood of your developing an addiction easily :
- Family history of addiction. If you have a blood relative, such as a parent or sibling, with alcohol or drug problems, you're at greater risk of developing a drug addiction.
- Having another psychological problem. If you have a psychological or psychiatric problem, such as depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder or post-traumatic stress disorder, you're more likely to become dependent on drugs or alcohol.
- Lack of family involvement. A lack of attachment with your parents may increase the risk of addiction, as can a lack of parental supervision.
- Taking a highly addictive drug. Some drugs, such as heroin and cocaine, cause addiction faster than others.
- Method of Administration. Smoking a drug or injecting it into a vein increases its addictive potential.
Dr. Sumeet Inder Singh
Dr Sumeet Inder Singh is among the best senior consultant PSYCHIATRIST AND DEADDICTION SPECIALIST in Chandigarh India.
- Whom should I consult for drug addiction ? And why?
- How is drug addiction treated?
- Why some people become addicted to drugs while others don’t ?
- Is depression treatable?
- What influences the ability to tolerate stress ?
- How can I cope with stress?
- What are symptoms of Depression?
- Will life be normal again after depression?
- What is the duration of treatment?
- What are the reasons for becoming depressed?
- What is depression?
- What should I do if I am depressed?
- What are the symptoms?
- What are the warning signs that a friend or a loved one is using drugs?
- What is stress?