What should I do if I am depressed? +As you recognize your depression, the first thing is to go to a mental health professional like a psychiatrist and… Read More
Is it safe to take antidepressants during pregnancy & breastfeeding? +Antidepressant medications pass across the placental barrier, potentially exposing the developing fetus to the medication, women and their doctors need… Read More
Is depression treatable? How? +Yes. Depression, even the most severe case, is treatable .Treatment involves taking medicines (called antidepressants) & counseling. Read More
What illnesses often coexist with depression in women? +Depression often coexists with other illnesses that may precede the depression, follow it, cause it, be a consequence of it,… Read More
What are the risk factors for depression in women? +There are a number of different, yet interrelated, risk factors for depression in women. Risk Factors for Depression in Women… Read More
Why Are Women at Greater Risk for Depression than Men? +Many factors unique to women are suspected to play a role in developing depression. Certain events in a woman's life… Read More
What are the symptoms? +Doctors continue to learn about how women are affected by depression, but there are some common symptoms. If you're depressed,… Read More
Is depression more common in women than in men? +Yes. Women are twice as likely as men to experience depression. Read More
As you recognize your depression, the first thing is to go to a mental health professional like a psychiatrist and begin treatment. Also:
- Engage in mild activity or exercise. Even if you don’t feel like, go to a movie, or a religious function or another event or activity that you once enjoyed.
- Try to spend time with other people and confide in a trusted friend or relative. Try not to isolate yourself.
- Expect your mood to improve gradually, not immediately. Often during treatment for depression, sleep and appetite will begin to improve before your depressed mood lifts.
- Postpone important decisions, such as getting married or divorced or changing jobs, until you feel better. Discuss decisions with others who know you well . You may not be thinking clearly while you are depressed, so the decisions you make at this time may not be the best ones for you.
- Don't blame yourself for your depression. You didn't cause it
- Do eat balanced meals and do get enough sleep.
- Do take your medicine and/or go for counseling as often as your doctor tells you to. Your medicine won't work if you only take it once in a while
- Do get as much information as you can about depression and how to treat it.
- Do call your doctor or the local suicide crisis center right away if you start thinking about suicide.
Dr. Sumeet Inder Singh
Dr Sumeet Inder Singh is among the best senior consultant PSYCHIATRIST AND DEADDICTION SPECIALIST in Chandigarh India.
- Whom should I consult for drug addiction ? And why?
- How is drug addiction treated?
- Why some people become addicted to drugs while others don’t ?
- Is depression treatable?
- What influences the ability to tolerate stress ?
- How can I cope with stress?
- What are symptoms of Depression?
- What is the duration of treatment?
- Will life be normal again after depression?
- What is depression?
- What are the reasons for becoming depressed?
- What should I do if I am depressed?
- What are the warning signs that a friend or a loved one is using drugs?
- What are the symptoms?
- What is stress?